28 September – 1 October 2020
Da Balaia, The Algarve
The idea behind this annual event is to have an educational break in a healthy environment, to meet and exchange views with some of your old and new colleagues, to attend a stimulating conference and to get fit and healthy taking advantage of the excellent sporting facilities available in the resort. You can then return to work full of energy, ready to implement the knowledge that you acquired on the course.
This meeting is approved for 15 hours of CPD by the Royal College of Anaesthetists.
To be confirmed
2020 Scientific Programme will include lectures, discussions and workshops on:
- Acute and Chronic Pain
- Obstetric and Regional Anaesthesia
- Cardio-thoracic anaesthesia and medicine
- Regional anaesthesia (with hands on workshops)
- Critical Care topics
- Trauma patient
- Peri-operative medicine
- Haematology for anaesthetists
- Acute and respiratory medicine
- Paediatric update
- Advanced airway management
- Education, Training and Revalidation
- Medico-legal update
- Bedside ultrasound certified course USabcd (heart, lungs, vascular access)
Bedside Ultrasound: heart, lung and vascular access for Doctors Updates.
More than just a taster. For 2020 the e-learning has been revised and improved specifically for Doctors Updates. The thorough pre-course interactive e-learning with up to 8 hours of content will prepare the doctor for the predominantly hands–on training in Da Balaia and Val d’Isere. Each section is led by experienced teachers. The course is aimed at any doctors who need relevant clinical information in a timely fashion so that intervention is safe and not delayed.
What is covered by the e-learning?
The main section will include:
- Basic theory and equipment.
- Echo: recognise LV and RV dysfunction, hypovolaemia / hypervolaemia, pericardial effusion.
- Ultrasound of the lungs to recognise pleural effusion and pneumothorax.
- Ultrasound for peripheral cannulation.
- Exciting addition of common pathologies as seen by ultrasound.
- The extra section will cover central venous access for Internal Jugular, Subclavian and Femoral veins.
Due to the widespread application of ultrasound part of the package covers FAST, Abdominal Aorta and PICC lines which will not be covered in the workshop but you can study if it is useful to you.
Candidates on completion will be able to start gaining clinical experience having climbed the steepest part of the learning curve. They will also receive a certificate from Doctors Updates/USabcd. Candidates can claim at least 2 extra CPD points approved by the RCoA for the e-learning component.
You can access the e-learning in advance of the course as soon as you register for the conference. You will be sent a code so you can create an account on http://usabcd.org and start learning.
USabcd creates e-learning in point-of-care ultrasound. Our vision is to make point-of-care ultrasound more accessible worldwide. The e-learning is used by major hospitals, leading societies and medical schools in 25 countries.